Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Knot Dyslexia



Knot Dyslexia
Charlie Earl

When I was a child in the mid-1950s, I can recall my father switching from a wire-tie hay baler to a string-tied one. Occasionally the new machine would “slip a knot,” and we would have to manually tie the twine. My father insisted that we use a square knot to secure the bale because other types might come undone or require too much time to craft. As a seven year bone-headed kid, I had all kinds of trouble mastering the square knot. Sometimes after my effort was complete we would pick up the bale to toss it on the wagon, and it would come apart….scattering hay all around. My father would become rather demonstrative and animated while questioning my mental capacity. Clearly…. I was knot dyslexic. The over-under, return path of the twine was too much for me to master easily.

Imagine if our government education system (the public schools) and our government entitlement apparatus had existed back then as it does now. There may have been a special class for those who were knot dyslexic. There may even have been an after school program with dinner included for those who suffered from the heartbreak of knot dyslexia. Probably… given my small community of McCutchenville, Ohio, and the relative skills and coordination of my elementary school cohorts, I would have been the only one in the entire building who suffered from the affliction of knot dyslexia. Nevertheless… justice and equity would have required the ACLU to insist that my difficulty be addressed and financed by the state. IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT I LEARNED TO TIE A SQUARE KNOT THE NEXT SUMMER, but with a well-financed and massively growing program, I might continue to be immersed in my tragic circumstances to this very day. My short-term knot dyslexia morphed into knot proficiency in a matter of two hay/straw seasons. In my opinion my father’s volatile admonitions were much more effective than any government “help” program. And less costly (although now I suffer recurring nightmares from “knot anxiety”).

One can analyze the plethora of poverty programs administered by governments at all levels and detect regressive outcomes. Costs go higher, public employee payrolls expand (public unions) and poverty either does not abate or, in some cases, becomes worse. My father went home to meet the Lord nine years ago, but I continue to hear his commanding voice as he instructs me about the subtleties of knot tying … and many other things. If he or somewhat like him were handed the “poverty portfolio,” I am convinced that improvement would be significant and fast. Tough love works when the instructor has a vested interest in the learning and improvement of the student. Government programs fail because too often the public employee and the recipient have no “skin in the game.” The bar is set in the low position because there are limited awards for achievement. Those who receive aid are reminded that they are entitled to government intervention because of their inabilities to succeed on their own… and the cycle of dependence is reinforced.

Poverty, just like knot dyslexia, need not be a permanent status. I assume that many of you just like me have been broke at some times in your lives, but you expected to overcome it by working harder and smarter. Excessive government intervention in our lives … the ups and the downs… thwarts our initiative, steals our dignity and robs us of the chance to prevail over adverse circumstances. To truly embrace our human potential we must avoid the knotty ties of government constraints. We are NOT incapable.

Charlie Earl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment