Friday, January 4, 2013

Social Minima



Social Minima
Charlie Earl

Many of you are reading this column on “social media” sites. Thank you for doing so, but I must confess that I’m not totally comfortable participating in the 21st Century media revolution. When I was a child, our telephone was the wall-mounted cranking variety. Because it was a party line, each home had its own distinctive ring. Ours was “2 long and 2 short.” When I was 6, we acquired our first VHF television set with but one channel (WSPD, 13) accessible via our 40 foot tower. No one in our household argued about which channel we would watch or who controlled the remote….which is a blessing because if we had, my Father would have cuffed our ears.

Most of my days in radio were in the analog era wherein we used reel-to-reel tape and Cartridges. Our audio boards had “pods” (sometimes called “pots”) and toggle switches. When I “moved up” (or over, or down) to television, the digital age was in its infancy. Our cameras were more easily adjusted and the video editing process was dramatically streamlined. Nevertheless, I had to rely on younger, hipper staff to do the heavy lifting because of my reluctance to totally embrace the new age. My hesitancy was challenged in 2010, however, as I prepared to run for statewide office in Ohio.

The man who designed my website insisted that I have a “Paypal” link, “Facebook” page and a “Twitter” account. He was right although I failed miserably using any of them. As some of you may know, my “Earl for Ohio” page on Facebook remains my primary vehicle for posting stories, comments and columns. It is proof of my reluctance to change and adapt because the campaign ended more than two years ago. I must admit that I am a tad distrustful of the social media sites although my curmudgeonly manner causes me to sometimes post intemperate thoughts. Also…while the social media pages have introduced me to several new and lasting friends (many of whom I couldn’t identify in a line up), I sense that those vehicles are consuming too much of my time.

As one grows older, time becomes a more valuable commodity….similar to that ugly piece of furniture from Granny’s house that has transformed into a precious antique. My lack of patience and my feeble keyboard skills limit my willingness to engage in long form discussions on these social media. I prefer to strike the “zinger” and move on. Dense minds annoy me and I find ignorance intolerable (especially my own). As a result my input into serious discussions on these forums (fora?) is limited and not particularly enlightening….for others and for me. I truly relish the role of salient quipster but the ultimate impact of my blithering may be minimal. I must face the obvious: I’m much too wordy for 140 characters or fewer, and far too irreverent to engage in serious discussion on a global medium. Clearly I am out of sync with the times.

Yes, “out of sync”…that’s what I wrote. Something like Cicero appearing on “Love Connection,” or Attila the Hun on “Glee” (or Tim Tebow in New York). I do understand the power of instant communication and social media because I see so many young people with extended, calloused thumbs these days, but I continue to feel like the farm boy attending his first strip club…..awkward, out of place and truly amazed. As a passionate defender of personal liberty, I understand the power and value of these tools. There is no doubt in my mind that many of us, our statements and our thoughts are monitored by government and corporate sharks. If these media become a serious threat, I expect harsh measures to ensue, but I wonder…..can the cause of freedom really be advanced with 140 characters or fewer? Or are our posts mere caricatures of the real? Could the Federalist and Anti-Federalist papers have been as powerful in cyberspace? I think I shall go read a book now and enjoy my comfort zone. Oh, but first, to illustrate my labored point….I just learned TODAY how to endorse others on “Linked In.” Their individual skills have probably diminished while waiting for my endorsement.

Charlie Earl
     

No comments:

Post a Comment