Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Early Riser



Early Riser
Charlie Earl

Throughout my event-filled life, I have been an early riser. After all these years I’m still trying to ascertain if it’s a curse or a blessing to arise before dawn. My dairy-farming parents were responsible for placing me on this path. Milk cows prefer consistency, and the Earl dairy operation had the milking machines running by 5:30am every day, 365 days per year. The pre-sunrise trend continued when I did my undergraduate schooling at the College of Wooster (C.o.W.---get it?). While there I used a marketable skill to pay my way through school by milking cows at the Ohio Agricultural Research Development Center (OARDC). We milked our Holsteins and Jerseys at 2:30am and 2:30pm allowing me to attend classes after the morning shift and return for the afternoon gig. It was a moooooving experience.

When my family and I moved to Virginia so I could attend grad school at UVa, I got a job as an all-night radio D.J. to supplement my meager pay as a graduate teaching assistant. My shift began at 11:00pm and ended at 5:30am when the morning show began. So…I found myself awake early every day as I prepared for my morning teaching assignments and late afternoon graduate courses. My sleeping time was limited to early afternoons and weekends.

My first full-time radio job was in Findlay, Ohio, following my Virginia stint. As the Farm Director for the two Findlay stations, I continued to awaken early so that I could tape my FM programming prior to my first AM appearance at 6:07 in the morning. Short nights were commonplace again as the Ag Director’s role involved attending numerous banquets and meetings throughout the listening area. It was while at Findlay that I was offered a job to manage a nearby station. I accepted, and my family and I relocated to Ottawa, Ohio, where I assumed General Manager and Morning Host duties.

As the manager of a 24-hour radio station, I developed the habit of having the radio on all night so that I would be aware of what my over-night staff was doing. I arose early and arrived at the station by 5:30am to begin my 6:00-10:00am morning shift followed by sales calls and other managerial functions throughout the day. In the fall and winter months I would close out the day by broadcasting football or basketball games as the play-by-play announcer. Weekends included more games, remote broadcasts at sponsors’ businesses and live broadcasts from polka festivals, fairs and other such community activities. I was growing older, and the long days and short nights began to take a toll. I noticed that the wick on my life-line candle was growing shorter because of its being burnt from both ends.

Even today I sleep with the radio on and rise early in the morning. My cold reluctant feet usually drop to the floor between 4:30 and 6:00am….generally 5:15-5:30. I enjoy my first cup of strong black coffee (don’t tell my cardiologist or my Mormon friends), let the dog outside and gaze at our property looking for anomalies. Nature and the ravages of growing older contribute to my willingness to rise early. When Nature calls, one must respond. This semi-autobiographical column isn’t intended to provide you with more insight about my daily habits. It is a very personal illustration of how we become unintentional creatures of habit and routine.

There may be some intervening circumstances that cause us to alter our habitual rites, but we will either revert to the old ways or form new ceremonies when the crisis has passed. We prefer our comfort zones even when there are no logical or purposeful reasons for maintaining them. It is this weakness that allows big government to lull us into complacency as it ravages our property and destroys our liberty. The time has passed for us to break the habit and pursue freedom. For those who fear the chaos of anarchy, remember our tendencies for routine and order. Anarchy will be a mere blip in our social reconstruction, but tyranny will endure if we do not break the mold.

Charlie Earl

No comments:

Post a Comment