Monday, April 1, 2013

Straighter Furrows



Straighter Furrows
Charlie Earl

My father was obsessive about his fields and furrows. The rows must always be straight….no deviation. As a youngster on the farm, I thought that he was overly picky. I found his insistence on straight furrows to be rather tedious because my impatient attitude wanted to get on with it. Invariably we had the straightest rows in the neighborhood. One could peer down the row of emerging corn and see no swerve or variation. When plowing, our furrows were nearly as precise and dead-furrow depth was to be no more than 8 inches….because they were easier to “fill” and created a more level planting surface.

Now that I’m plowing furrows for myself, I find that I’m committed to straight and narrow ones. There are a number of reasons that I have grown to value straighter furrows. First, precise furrows have fewer “missed spots” so the person doing the plowing does not have to redo the plot. It saves time and fuel….you know that old “do it right the first time” wisdom that never loses its potency. Second, there is some personal satisfaction derived from craftsmanship. The aesthetic value and the internal sense of accomplishment are satisfying. Third, the straighter furrows are more easily worked to allow for a smoother and more consistent seed bed which, in turn, should prove beneficial at harvest time. Fourth, I miss my Dad, and every day I discover how right he was about so many things in life.

It seems probable that most of us would enjoy having a “do-over” for certain actions, inactions or incidents from our pasts. I can recall (painfully) many instances when I have failed to properly respond to a circumstance even though I knew what the correct response should be. Either my stubborn pride or short-term self interest dictated my inadequate reaction. Inevitably I paid for my failure to follow a proper course. It seems that our human and carnal natures become most dominant when our reason and faith-based responses are most needed. If I can fall into a sports analogy here: it’s similar to when the 90% free-throw shooter clanks a couple at “crunch time.” Our higher purpose and our higher natures are not natural. Our tendency is to revert to our weaker and baser natures when we face adversity.

Even when we are mystified by something beyond our ability to comprehend, we feel the need to reduce it to the comprehensible. Although at first blush this appears to be a logical response, it assumes that we are capable of knowing everything. It is arrogance of the highest order. The mature response is to admit that we do not know, but accept the possibility that something may be greater than our feeble knowledge. This is the essence of faith, but in times of stress or trial, we resort to our limited awareness to provide unsatisfactory and incomplete answers about what is going on around us. Belief is knowing enough about a matter to accept it at face value. Faith is sustaining belief when pummeled by doubt. Those who have little or no faith are most vulnerable in times of trial.

This somewhat meandering missive was prompted by what I observed on Facebook yesterday. Numerous posts suggested that I “share” if I believed while others insisted that I “like” them. Meanwhile….other posters belittled and ridiculed those who have faith and wished to be “liked” for their cleverness and original thought. I found myself wanting to share my faith but not desiring to be brow-beaten into doing so. In addition, I resented the judgments of those who laughed at my belief. In many respects they are no different than those who wish to behead me because I am an infidel in their views.

Straighter furrows and straight rows allow me to focus on the task at hand. They prevent my being distracted by extraneous issues and meaningless gestures. If I tend to my field and cultivate it wisely, then the harvest will be bountiful. If, on the other hand, I allow other factors to intervene, my rows, my time and my energy will not be utilized to their greatest potential. As I line up my John Deere to strike the next furrow, I must remember to keep my eyes on the target at the far end of the field. If I do so, my goal will be achieved so far as my meager talents may allow.

Charlie Earl
  

No comments:

Post a Comment