Friday, March 22, 2013

Extreme Angst



Extreme Angst
Charlie Earl

Woe is me. Some of my recent columns have prodded readers to call me an “extremist.” Me? Curmudgeonly, grandfatherly, jocular me…an extremist? Following a nano-second of introspective analysis, I must concur with my critics. Yes, dear misguided souls, I am an extremist, but a lovable one (immodest poetic license). In 1964 Senator Barry Goldwater accepted the GOP nomination for President and uttered these words:
          I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty
          is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in
          the pursuit of justice is no virtue!

Barry Goldwater did not get my vote in his ill-fated campaign against LBJ. I was eighteen that year, and 21 was the legal age for voting in 1964 (something we should reconsider to dilute the low-information-voter pool). If I were eligible, I would have cast my ballot for AuH2O even though I was largely unaware of the importance of his statement. Each and every day…the Senator from Arizona’s words are more prescient and necessary. Extremism is a natural result of passion, and if we have no passion for liberty, we may as well chain ourselves to the walls of tyranny.

It is possible for passion to lead from extremism to ultra-loonyness. An historic example might be John Brown, an abolitionist who believed so fervently that he initiated a nearly-suicidal attack on the armory at Harper’s Ferry, Virginia. Passion and extremism do not always lead to insane action and demented behavior, though those who distrust intense beliefs may characterize them as crazy. Lethargy morphs into indifference and perhaps sloth, but not all lethargic people are non-productive. Likewise with the passion to extremist model: Not all true believers are deranged. Think back to junior high school when you may have had a crush on someone who failed to acknowledge your existence. You probably pined for attention and notice. You may have undertaken some absurd actions to gain your beloved’s awareness, but so long as you weren’t a stalker or an invader of private space, your passion and your unrequited love were not dangerous. Puppy love can be sweet.

Obviously…I submit that extremism has unnecessarily and unfairly become a pejorative in our political discourse. Progressives and their Marxist cohorts passionately argue for “fairness and equity” yet their nonsensical extremism is tolerated, celebrated and endorsed. Their passion for instituting a Marxist agenda is mistaken for compassion for the downtrodden. Yet…their extremist goals and strategies are largely ignored because they have the cover of “caring.” Why should “extremism in the defense of liberty” be treated any differently? Particularly by those who claim to be conservative, constitutionalists or small-government activists. People who support a given political goal or ideological position should not be too quick to criticize and demean those who passionately embrace the cause. It should be a given that the passionate extremist should not be violent (unless necessary for self defense) or abusive (though so-called verbal abuse is often twisted for the “victim’s” advantage). Our movement to protect and re-assert our natural rights must have extremists in the vanguard. People will not follow the timid when urged to charge the barricades of despotism and tyranny. In fact…the timid and the “civil” advocates will not lead…it is too unseemly. They wouldn’t want anyone to get the idea that they believed too passionately about “that freedom thing.” Intuitively…I suspect those within the freedom movement who repudiate the extremists and radicals who are passionate for liberty are really in their hearts-of-hearts longing for positions of power and influence with the old-order statists. Consequently, they are fearful of making waves and resent those who do. Just my suspicious interpretation based on gut analysis.

Clearly this column is a self-serving justification for my alleged extremism. I don’t “feel” like an extremist. I have no trouble resisting the impulse to choke career politicians. I, so far, have managed to avoid knee-capping any sneering representatives of the bureaucracy. I do believe that I have a rational basis for my fear that our individual liberties are in “extreme” peril. Many of them have been discarded or modified already, and I fear the insatiable appetite of the Big Government monster cannot be satiated. The leviathan must be stopped. It must be dismantled. It must be discarded, and no tiny remnant should be allowed to grow again. I am an extremist and always will be.

The man was right. “Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.”

Charlie Earl


  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment