Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Gentle Spirit, Bad Attitude



Gentle Spirit/Bad Attitude
Charlie Earl

Despite my curmudgeonly demeanor, I am a cuddly type of guy. Violence isn’t my thing although I’m not afraid to ferociously respond when my loved ones are threatened. I’d rather get along with people and talk things out even though I can be rather pig-headed at times. My family tells me that I am a verbal bully….not abusive, but so self-assured in my beliefs that I discourage dissent. In addition, I am a bigot. I detest people who act as if thinking is too difficult. I loathe people who see their life’s mission as telling me how to live mine. I abhor thoughtless clowns who perceive government as the final arbiter for all questions of morals and policy. I hate those who believe my previous statements are “hate speech.” In our present politically-correct climate I am an outlier…a fossil… persona non grata….and an anachronism. But I am lovable although not universally beloved.

Although I cannot cite the exact physiological ratio, I seem to recall a statement that smiling requires fewer muscles than frowning. That may be true, but it causes me to cheerfully ask, “What about scowling?” By now you have detected an element of schizophrenia in this column. I simultaneously am happy and despairing. Giddy with joy and fuming at the social and political mayhem that surrounds me. It seems impossible to be happy and filled with rage at the same time. But yet….that’s where I am. I know there are skeptics who suspect that believers in Christ are delusional and misguided. I shared their views once upon a time, but since my conversion some thirty years ago, I have truly experienced and enjoyed the happiness of eternal hope while anguishing about the state of the “world” … and our nation.

Any evangelist can tell you about the internal struggle between glorious happiness and utter despair. Certainly… Christian evangelists and secular proponents of political liberty share similar ebbs and flows. For example the evangelist moves through earthly life with a conviction or certitude that is a mystery for most people while at the same time, the preacher yearns for others to share the promise. When they reject it, deny it or demean it, his heart is broken, but his personal joy remains intact. The true evangelist for liberty has a nearly intuitive understanding of the happiness that engulfs the unfettered life. Liberty’s advocates share a similar fate with the warriors of the Gospel. They know the power of freedom, but are saddened by the failure of others to understand. Simultaneous joy and pain.

Anyone who fervently believes in a noble cause has been gifted with a purpose. Too many people drift through life seeking “meaning.” Those who have repented and accepted the gift of salvation cherish the life-altering moment. Similarly….those individuals who are obsessed with a meaningful purpose are driven to achieve their goals. It is the unfocused person who traipses from one guru to the next, from one panacea to another seeking something to live for and to die for. It may seem contradictory, but if something isn’t worth dying for, it rarely is worth living for. Even though many seek to institute a valueless society here, the people who have made value judgments to go “all-in” for a worthy cause are the happiest among us.

They are the saddest as well because they are often ridiculed, shunned and ignored. The Word of God informs believers that they will persecuted for their faithfulness. At a somewhat different level so, too, will be the zealous advocate for liberty….or any worthwhile endeavor. People generally prefer to slide through life without too much resistance, but once someone has discovered a worthy purpose, opposition is sure to arise. So it is possible to possess a gentle spirit and a bad attitude at the same time. In fact if one believes in something strongly enough, it is inescapable. If you are one who has a noble purpose that will not be denied, you will be identified by your caustic tongue when you utter with love, “Stick it up your a$$. I’m moving on and you can take it or leave it.” Just remember to say it with a warm smile.

Charlie Earl


   




2 comments:

  1. I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. — Romans 8:18

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are correct, but evangelical timidity is the result of being driven by worldly concerns more than eternal ones. It is the essence of faith. While many may have the hope of glory, too few have the enduring faith to withstand persecution. This sad scenario explains the need for Christ because left to our own devices and desires, we'd rather please the world than God.

    ReplyDelete