Monday, March 11, 2013

Loving Loons



Loving Loons
Charlie Earl

It’s not easy being a loon. My clueless friends and relatives think I’m paranoid. My paranoid acquaintances think I have my head up my anal orifice because I’m not yet into panic mode. Family and my readers want me to stop over-using the liberty crack that seems to be guiding my addicted life. My two children and their spouses continue to hope that Dad may grow up before he gets too old, and my grandchildren are somewhat intimated by it all. My poor saintly mother just shakes her gray-haired head and wonders where she may have gone wrong. And….an extremely tolerant wife of more than 44 years prays that lightning may strike me and burn some sense into my addled brain. I am truly blessed, however, because the people who mean the most to me aren’t afraid to love a loon.

One of the great advantages of going off the deep end is that it is a long, long way until you hit bottom. I may continue to sink, but I have not yet resolved to give up and lie quietly on the bottom of the liberty pool. This task, this mission would be fruitless and impossible without the support (however reluctant) of those who inhabit my life. I couldn’t do it alone without their feedback, support and tolerance. Although I am not in their league, there have been many loons who led the way for our nation. Their peers thought them to be crazy, and their foes often underestimated them. But…the loons of our past have been transformed into wise prophets and brave oracles.

Samuel Adams was reviled by many of his friends and neighbors because of his incessant complaining about what he claimed were the Crown’s abuses of the colonists. His constant haranguing drove some people away from him and caused others to question his sanity. Many, however, consider him to be the Godfather of the Revolution due to his untiring agitation for freedom. He was a loon, but those who love liberty love Sam Adams….and probably his namesake brew as well.

Thomas Paine was often despondent and frequently unkempt. A steady job seemed to be impossible for him to hold because he was a quarrelsome rascal. Some suspected that “Demon Rum” held him in its evil clutches and was responsible for his sometimes anti-social behavior. Paine was a loon. He was a brilliant misfit whose understanding of freedom ignited the flames of liberty among many of his fellow colonials. Even today Paine is a divisive figure among those who study and write our history. His bright red nose was a shining beacon of liberty and lunacy in our early days.

In a social structure that favors “fitting in” the outlier, the radical or the most passionate advocate will be identified as a “wacko” or a “loon.” Those who define the liberty proponents that way are often fearful of seeming too committed or too zealous. They seek to be viewed as measured and moderate when in fact their placid flaccidness can be considered symptomatic of someone who lacks principle and conviction. In a recent example John McCain and Lindsey Graham made harsh statements about Senator Rand Paul’s filibuster efforts on the Senate floor. Although several of Paul’s colleagues joined him in the marathon, McCain and Graham bemoaned the “pointless and grandstanding” nature of the captivating event. McCain characterized Paul as a “wacko”….which probably did not enhance comity among the members of the GOP Senate caucus. Paul’s performance was extraordinary in the sense that his entire presentation was thoughtful and germane. He did not engage in frivolous banter or read odd passages to consume his time. He believed that he was standing on principle, and despite McCain’s description many people were impressed. It seems the loon won this round.

Loons may frequently stand alone, but those who have support from people who love them can be unstoppable. If you know a loon who loves liberty, tell them you love them. Please don’t slink away to hide your embarrassment. Your favorite loon may be the spark who keeps liberty alive for many others.

Charlie Earl

1 comment: